A ruffled pillow can update your décor with romantic style filled with rows and rows of ruffles! Hand-dyed fabrics help you create your own unique look. If you like the shabby chic look the ruffled pillow is a perfect accent too.
Materials for ruffled pillow:
- Fairfield Home Elegance Square Pillow Insert, 14”x14”
- White muslin fabric, one yard
- White wool felt, scraps
- Melissa Frances Vintage Filigree Jeweled Brooch
Tools for ruffled pillow:
- Sizzix Big Shot Die-Cutting System and Bigz Flower Layers #4 Die
- Sewing machine and thread: ecru, black
- Sewing needle
- Jacquard Products iDye Fabric Dye for Natural Fibers: Ecru, Chartreuse, Deep Orange, Pink
- Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
- measuring cup, long kitchen tongs, one-gallon container, kitchen thermometer, large pot, stove
- top, rubber gloves, plastic tablecloth (to cover work surface), pins, ruler, scissors, iron, old towel
Directions for ruffled pillow:
1. Use scissors to cut two 15” squares from muslin. Cut small slit at short edge of remaining muslin,
2-1/2” from edge. By hand, tear remaining muslin into 2-1/2”-wide strips.
2. In large pot, heat four cups of water on stove top until very hot, approximately
140°F. Pour 1-1/2 cups hot water into large container. Cover work surface with
3. Wearing rubber gloves, empty Ecru dye packet into water in container. Stir well
with kitchen tongs; remove any remaining packet scraps. Add muslin squares, one at a
time, to dye. Let sit 15 minutes and then remove from mixture. Discard mixture and
rinse container. Rinse excess dye from fabric; squeeze excess water from fabric and
wrap in old towel to absorb moisture. Hang fabric to air dry.
4. Divide torn muslin strips into three piles. Pour 3/4 cup hot water into large
container; add Chartreuse dye packet. Stir and remove packet scraps. Add one-third
of muslin strips to mixture. Let sit 15 minutes and then remove from mixture. Rinse
container and fabric; blot moisture in old towel. Hang fabric strips to air dry.
5. Repeat Step 4 to dye one-third of muslin strips Deep Orange and remaining
muslin strips Pink.
6. When all fabric is dry, press with iron on steam setting. Gather all strips
using a knife pleat, sewing machine, and black thread. Join same-color strips
together to create four-yard length of each color.
7. Use fabric glue to adhere strips to one 15” pillow square. Work strips into
spirals, alternating colors. Spot glue fabric as needed.
8. Die cut flower layers from white wool felt; layer and adhere to center of
ruffled design. Pin brooch to flower center.
9. Use cream thread to sew pillow front and back together, right sides facing,
using 1/2” seam allowance and leaving bottom edge open for turning. Steam seams
open and turn pillow right side out. Insert pillow form; use needle and ecru
thread to whipstitch opening closed.