Spiders a spooky and creepy and you can greet trick-or-treaters with an oversized creepy arachnid! Plastic-foam and repurposed supplies make this budget-friendly, too. Plus the giant google eyes make it a whole lot less scary. Create a whole army of Spiders to decorate your yard.
Materials for Giant porch Spider
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam Balls: 5”, 2-1/2”; scrap
- Wire coat hangers, eight
- Black fleece, 1 yd.
- Wooden skewers, two
- Wiggle eyes, 1”, two
- Cut one skewer in half and insert end into smaller foam ball. Remove and place opposite end into larger foam ball. Spot glue ends of skewer and insert back into holes. Place remaining skewer into bottom of larger foam ball to use as handle when painting. On covered work surface, paint both balls Lamp Black. Insert skewer handle into scrap foam to hold in place while drying.
- Measure and cut eight 2”-wide strips of fleece. Unbend each wire hanger by twisting wire with pliers and lengthening into one long wire length. Form spider legs using photo and diagram as guides. Use wire cutters to trim legs if needed. Beginning at top of bended leg, wrap fleece strip around wire leg, leaving 4” of wire unwrapped on one end. Use fabric glue to adhere fleece every few inches, overlapping fleece on edges. Repeat process to bend and wrap all eight legs.
- Insert unwrapped ends of wire legs into large foam ball (body), with four on each side. Remove wire legs and generously apply tacky glue on ends; replace into holes. Let dry thoroughly.
- Paint hourglass shape on top of body Primary Red. Let dry.
- Adhere wiggle eyes to smaller foam ball (head) using tacky glue. Let dry.