Create a Faux Mother of Pearl necklace and earring set with these easy to follow instructions. The craft tutorial can be used to create the faux mother pearl look on any paper surface and is not limited to jewelry only. Bring texture and color into your creations with this fun faux technique.
sizes: necklace, 18” length; earrings, 2”
Materials for Faux Mother of Pearl:
- Darice pearls, three each: brown, 8mm; cream, 6mm
- Darice silver findings: ear wires, two; jump rings, seven; headpins, three; plate chain, 18” length; clasp
- Mat board
paper towel, small container of water, 1/16” hole punch, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Sizzix Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine and Originals Ovals #3 Die
- Needle-nose pliers
- Wire cutters
- DecoArt Americana Metallic Paints: Sky Blue Pearl, Moss Pearl, White Pearl; Sea Aqua Acrylic
- DecoArt: Americana Satin Varnish, Small Mini Mop, Glazing Medium
Directions for Faux Mother of Pearl Technique:
1. Die cut one large and two medium ovals from mat board.
2. Quickly dip large oval in water and tap off excess. Place oval in palm and press in center of oval with thumb creating indentation. Use fingers to pinch edges to add greater depth. Let dry. Repeat for remaining ovals.
3. On covered work surface, basecoat all ovals Aqua Sea using mini mop. Let dry. Apply Sky Blue Pearl and then Moss Pearl on ovals; do not let paint dry between coats. Use mini mop to gently blend colors.
4. Mix White Pearl and Glazing Medium together; liberally apply mixture on all three ovals. Let dry.
5. Punch hole on top edge of each piece. Use needle-nose pliers to open jump ring and attach to hole.
6. String cream and brown pearls on each headpin. Use needle-nose pliers to form loop at end of each headpin; trim excess wire using wire cutters. Attach headpin to jump rings on ovals.
7. Attach ear wires to small ovals.
8. Attach large oval jump ring to center of 18” chain length. Attach jump ring to ends of chain length. Attach clasp to jump rings to finish.