Make a fabric scrap mug rug for a fast and simple gift that is perfect for Mother’s Day or as a teacher’s gift. The fabric scrap mug rugs are an easy sew project that you can make in under an hour. They are great to have handy at home if you like to read and have a snack too.
Supplies needed for the fabric scrap mug rug:
- iron and safe ironing surface
- cotton batting scrap
- fabric scraps
- scissors or rotary cutter and matt
- needle and thread or sewing machine and thread
- straight pins
Instructions for the fabric scrap mug rug:
- Trim fabric scraps into 2.5″ x 2.5″. If you want to use random lengths make sure the height is all the same.
- Start by placing 2 of the 2.5″ squares wrong sides together and sew a 1/4″ seam along one side. Repeat this step until you have a strip of fabric with 4 squares.
- Repeat this step 4 times.
- Join the strips together to form a square by sewing like you did with the earlier pieces.
- You can repeat this for the other side or use a fabric piece that is at least an 9×9.
- Square up your fabric front and the piece of batting by placing a ruler along the edge and trim of any excess.
- Place the layer of fabric and batting on top of the other fabric.
- Use your sewing machine to sew the layers together. You can make a design or you can sew along the seams to make a grid.
- You can use binding to join the pieces or you can use the bottom layer to make the binding.
- Trim the backing fabric, leaving 1” around all sides of the quilted top.
- Start anywhere, and fold the binding over halfway. Then in half again, and pin. You can do this on your ironing board and press it as you go. Fold all the way down to the next edge.
- When you get to a corner, fold the corner up and continue to the next side. You might have to play with the corner a bit, but once you actually do this it will make sense.
- Continue until you’ve folded and pinned the binding around the whole mug rug.
- Sew it down using a walking foot if you have one. If not go slow with a regular foot. Sew right along the edge of the binding. Sew to the corner and leave the needle in the fabric as you lift the presser foot and turn to go down the next edge. Repeat for all sides and VIOLA a mug rug!