Dye muslin favor bags to customize wedding favor bags perfect for giving small gifts at a wedding reception, bridal luncheon, rehearsal dinner, shower or even Valentine’s Day gifts.
Materials for muslin favor bags:
- Cotton muslin, 1/4 yd.
- Burlap, scrap
- Black wool felt, scrap
- Cotton string
- Fairfield Poly-fil Polyester Fiberfill
- Flat-backed rhinestones
- Sewing machine and black thread
- Sizzix Big Shot Die-Cutting System and Dies: Primitive Hearts, Small Flower
- Rit Liquid Dyes: Purple, Denim Blue, Kelly Green, Lemon Yellow
- Alphabet stamps and black pigment ink
- Adhesives: Stick; Beacon Adhesives Gem-Tac and Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
Basic Supplies muslin favor bags:
washing machine, small mixing container, mixing spoon, hot water, rubber gloves, old towel, iron and pressing surface, straight pins, plastic tablecloth or trash bag, rotary cutter and mat.
Directions muslin favor bags:
1. Machine wash cotton muslin. Cover work surface with plastic tablecloth or trash bag. Wearing rubber gloves, mix 1/2 tsp. Kelly Green, 1 Tbsp. Lemon Yellow, and 1 cup hot water in small mixing container. (Note: Water should be 140º or hotter.) Stir with mixing spoon. Submerge fabric and 12” string length into dye bath. Let set for four minutes. Remove from dye bath; squeeze out excess dye and rinse under cool tap water. Squeeze out excess water; wrap in old towel to remove water and dye. Let dry. Iron on pressing surface to remove wrinkles. Repeat process for lavender fabric, mixing 1/8 tsp. Purple, 1/8 tsp. Denim Blue and 1 cup hot water.
2. Use rotary cutter and mat to cut two 6”x7-1/2” or two 4”x5-1/2” pieces from dyed fabric. Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse small scrap (approximately 1-1/2”x2”) of white muslin to fusible webbing using iron. Use alphabet stamps and solvent ink for sentiment of choice to stamp muslin. Heat set with iron on medium setting.
3. Die cut heart from burlap. Die cut flower from black wool felt. Pin burlap heart to front of bag and machine-sew around edges, leaving small opening for stuffing. Lightly stuff with fiberfill and sew opening closed. Machine-sew stamped sentiment 1/4” from edge using straight or zig-zag stitch.
4. Steam 1/2” seam at top of bag pieces; machine sew using zig-zag or straight stitch. Place right sides of bag together and sew sides using 1/2” seam allowance on left, bottom, and right sides of bag. Steam seams open. Turn bag right side out and press.
5. Use fabric glue to adhere black felt flower on bag. Adhere rhinestone on flower center using Gem-Tac. Adhere dyed string onto top of bag (for handle) using Fabri-Tac. Let dry.