A decoupage flower pot is a great gift for graduation, Mother’s Day or Father’s Day. Use black and white or tinted copies of photographs to create a personalized flower pot. Use baby photos and snapshots from important life events to make this visual keepsake extra meaningful.
Materials and tools for decoupage flower pot:
- Terra cotta flower pot, 6”
- Wooden heart tag, 2-1/2”
- Inkjet photo paper or copy paper
- Acrylic flat-backed crystals
- Ribbon or fabric of choice, 1” wide, 14” length
- Jute twine, 3” length
- Computer, photo-editing software, scanner, inkjet printer or copier
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Lamp Black, Snow White, Boysenberry Pink, Olive Green
- Tiny alphabet stamps and black pigment ink
- Adhesives: DecoArtAmericana Decou-page, Beacon Adhesives Gem-Tac Permanent Adhesive
- scissors, paintbrushes, foam brush, wax candle, sanding block, newspaper (to cover work surface)
Instructions for decoupage flower-pot:
Use scanner to scan photographs and save. Use photo-editing software to convert photos to black and white and to tint photographs if desired. Resize photographs into various sizes ranging from 1” to 4”. Print photographs on inkjet paper (or copy photos onto copy paper). Use scissors to trim photographs as needed.
On covered work surface, paint flower pot rim and inside of pot Boysenberry Pink or Olive Green. Paint wooden heart black. Let dry. Use wax candle to lightly rub surface on heart randomly to create wax resist. Paint heart Snow White. When dry, sand surface lightly to reveal distressed finish.
Use alphabet stamps and pigment ink to stamp sentiment such as “we grow through a mother’s love” or “we love you Mom” on heart. Adhere crystals on heart using Gem-Tac. Set aside.
Use découpage medium and foam brush to adhere photos to bottom of flower pot. Overlap photos slightly and vary position. Use fingers to smooth out air bubbles. Let dry.
Tie ribbon into bow around top of pot. Use jute or string to tie heart tag around knot in bow.