Tex Mex Vegetable soup is a yummy gift idea. Soups in a jar are one of our favorite gifts from the kitchen. They are fast and easy to make, taste great and are very budget friendly. There is also something special about taking time to make a handmade gift.
Layer all the ingredients listed below into a mason pint jar or 16 ounce jar.
Ingredients for Tex Mex Vegetable soup:
- 1/4 cup lentil
- 1/4 cup peas
- 1/4 cup barley
- 1/4 cup dried vegetables This is hard to find in local stores.
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes – If you are watching your sodium use less bouillon cubes.
Clean the jar and dry completely. Do not wash the ring because that will can lead to rust. The lid can be washed. Layer the ingredients into the jar in the order they are listed from top to bottom. Once the ingredients are in the jar place on the lid and band, and tighten. You can embellish the exterior with ribbon or jute cording, buttons, stickers or anything you have in your crafty stash. The most important step is to give them the instructions listed below. Copy and past or hand write the directions for the gift recipient. I like to make these in bulk and keep them on hand for when I need a quick thank you gift or a hostess gift. If you are giving to a vegan you can use a vegetable bouillon instead of the chicken bouillon.
Instructions to make the Tex Mex Vegetable soup:
- Remove wrapper from bouillon cube and add them to the pot.
- Add all the all remaining ingredients add 10 cups of water into a large pot.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat and let simmer for about 40 minutes or until peas are soft. You can change the amount of water by a cup or two depending on how thick you like it.