Warm up a winter meal with Soup Singles – Italian Herb Gifts in a jar. This soup single makes the perfect meal for one or an appetizer for two. I added a few variations to the bottom of the ingredients if you are making a bunch of them for yourself. I like to give them to my single friends and to my elderly neighbors. And I will let you in on a little secret we keep them in our emergency travel kit. For the kit I have them in vacuum sealed pouches. We rotate out the food items every six months. We keep enough food in it for our family of 4 to eat for 3-5 days, not including the rice.
Ingredients Soup Singles in a jar:
- 1 tablespoons lentils
- 1 tablespoons split peas
- 1 tablespoons barley
- 1 tablespoons rice
- 1 tablespoons dried mixed vegetables (affiliate link)
- 1 teaspoon dried chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 chicken boullion cube added to the top
Instructions Soup Singles in a jar:
- Layer the ingredients into the jar or you can mix in a bowl and then add. I like the layered look.
- Seal jars.
- Can be stored in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.
To Make Soup Singles in a jar:
- Add the soup contents into a 4 quart Dutch oven with 4-6 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered 30 minutes or until pasta is tender.
Extras you can add to change it up a little:
- can cooked chicken and 1 can diced tomatoes
- frozen meatballs
- 1 cups kale or spinach, coarsely chopped
For the Italian Meatball Version:
- Add frozen meatballs and kale, return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer uncovered until meatballs are heated through.
- For the canned chicken heat until warmed.