A sit upon is a girl scout craft tradition. I am not sure when the girl scout craft started but I know it has been around for over 40 years because I remember my older cousin making one at camp and teaching me how to make one too. What is a sit-upon? They are homemade, usually waterproof pads used to protect the user’s backside from the cold and damp while “sitting upon” the ground! They are also great for sitting any where the sitting surface is hard… a Girl Scout craft tradition for camping.
The material being used on the sit upon is called Oly*Fun and it is weather friendly and water resistant. It is not meant for long term use outside. But it is perfect for using and washing off when you are finished and it comes in 18 colors and it acts like a paper because you can cut it with scissors and does not fray. It is similar to a fabric because it can be sewn and washed. Like the best of both worlds.
If you would like to see more Girl Scout Crafts click on the link at the bottom and it will take you to another site loaded with ideas.
Materials for a Sit Upon – girl scout craft:
- Olyfun (your favorite colors)
- Measuring Tape or Ruler
- Needle and thread or embroidery floss (optional)
- Sewing Machine and coordinating thread
Instructions for Sit Upon – girl scout craft:
- Draw a shape for the top of the sit upon on the Olyfun fabric. We free handed the shapes then cut the shape out and set it a side.
- Cut enough Olyfun to cover the cushion on all sides with an extra two inches all around. The cushions use were 15×17 so I cut 17×19.
- If you are going to add embellishments sew them on by hand now or with sewing machine.
- Fold the material in half and sew up two sides. You can leave the seams on the outside or you can flip it inside out and the seams will be on the inside.
- Cut strips of Olyfun for straps. I cut them 4 inches wide and folded them in half for extra strength Insert the cushion into the opening.
- Insert the strapping and pin in place if needed. Sew the opening closed and trim off any excess material.