Make mini scrap fabric bags with button handles. This fabric scrap stash busting idea is fun and easy to recreate. Instead of throwing fabric scraps away, tear them into small strips and sew them together to create adorable little mini totes. Raid your button stash for an authentic handle, too. Have fun with your stitches for even more variety.
Materials for Mini scrap fabric bags with button handles:
- Colorful fabric strips, 1-1/2”x12”, 12
- Wire, 18-gauge, 10” length
- Buttons Galore & MoreSunshine Yellow Hand-Dyed Buttons; Color Blend Buttons: Blue, White, Natural
- Buttons Galore & MoreMedium Squares Blank Craft Shapes
- Natural hemp twine, 6” length
Tools for Mini scrap fabric bags with button handles
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Rubber stamps of choice
- Heat tool
- Wire cutters
- Heavy-duty hole punch
- Pigment inks: orange, black
- Beacon Adhesives Gem-Tac Permanent Adhesive
- rotary cutter and mat, iron and pressing surface, scissors, straight pins
Directions for Mini scrap fabric bags with button handles
1.Layer two strips of fabric together slightly overlapping long edges; pin. Machine-sew strips together. Continue in same manner until 11 or 12 strips are joined. (Note: Designer used various stitches available on sewing machine and free form stitches on plain strips. Designer used a knife-pleated strip of fabric for top strip.
2.Once strips are joined, use black ink and stamps to stamp across plain strips. Heat set ink with iron.