Make an adorable Quilted Santa is easily created using fabric scraps, embellishments, and simple sewing.
Materials for Quilted Santa
- Fabrics: red/white polka dot cotton, 1/4 yd.; beige muslin, scrap; white muslin, scrap
- Wooden shapes: ovals, 1”, two; tag, 2”
- Fairfield Poly-fil Fiberfill Stuffing
- Black beads, two
- Clear acrylic rhinestone, 9mm
- Decorative flowers with jewel centers, two
- Jute: natural, 6”; black, 8”
- White yarn, small amount
- Thread: white, black, beige
Tools for Quilted Santa
- Sewing machine
- Dritz Button Cover Kit, 5/8”
- “Believe” stamp of choice
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Lamp Black, Snow White, Baby Pink, Neutral Gray
- Black pigment ink
- Beacon Adhesives: Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive, Gem-Tac Permanent Glue
sanding block, wax candle, straight pins, newspaper (to cover work surface), ruler, twist tie, rubber band
Directions for Quilted Santa
1. Using rotary cutter and mat, cut two 5” red squares (hat), one 3” beige muslin square (face), one 4” white muslin square (beard), and one 2”x4” and 2”x3” white muslin strips (borders).
2. On covered work surface, paint wooden ovals (eyebrows) Snow White. Paint two 1” circles (cheeks) on face Baby Pink. Paint small eyebrow lines on eyebrows Neutral Gray. Let dry.
3. Paint tag Lamp Black; let dry. Randomly rub candle on tag; paint Snow White. Let dry. Lightly sand tag, revealing distressed areas.
4. Pin face to center of beard; machine-sew face to beard along two adjacent sides close to edge. Using black thread, hand-sew beads to face on side opposite of face stitching as shown. Machine-sew beard onto center of red hat square.
5. Fold border strips in half lengthwise; press with iron. Machine-sew borders along top edges of face, overlapping ends as shown.
6. Wrap white yarn around hand several times creating small bundle. Slip bundle off hand; tie together using loose strand through center of loops.
7. Pin red hat squares together with wrong sides facing. Cut 8” length of natural jute and pin ends inside top edge of squares to form loop. Machine-sew along three sides, securing jute hanger in between squares.
8. Stuff square with fiberfill through bottom opening; machine-sew opening closed.
9. Adhere yarn mustache between cheeks using fabric glue. Adhere wooden eyebrows above eyes using gem glue. Let dry.
10. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to cover one button with red/white polka dot fabric for nose. Hand-sew nose to face.
11. Stamp “Believe” on tag using black ink. Adhere flowers and gems to tag. Let dry. Use black jute to tie tag to ornament hanger. Knot ends.