A no sew Mermaid Tutu Tutorial for your little mermaiden. Make a mermaid costume for Halloween or cosplay. My daughters 5th birthday party was mermaid themed and while they are little I like to go all out for birthday parties. If you are going all out you might as well have a cool mermaid dress to wear too. Am I right? Don’t answer that. LOL
Materials for Mermaid Tutu Tutorial:
- 9 inch pre-made crochet head band material
- Aqua and Glitter Teal Tulle I used 5 rolls
- one starfish for rosette
- one tank top to match the tutu
- paper towel roll to use as a form
- Clam shell bra from the Dollar Tree
- Needle and thread in coordinating color
Instructions for Mermaid Tutu Tutorial:
- Measure your tulle into strips of fabric twice the length of your desired skirt. I cut the tulle into strips that are 36 inches long. Wrap the tulle around a yardstick and cut if you are using 36 inches. Fold the strip in half. Use the center point of the tulle and push through a gap in the crocheted material.
- Put two fingers in and create a loop on one end and two loose tails on the other.
- Then fold the tail ends around the waistband and pull them through the loop.
- As you pull the strips through the loop, tighten them and slide them down the waistband to make room for other strips. Keeping the tulle knots tight will stabilize the skirt.
- Add more and more strips around the waistband to fill out the skirt. Push them close together for a more full skirt, or leave them more spaced apart for a skirt that is a bit more flat. Stop adding the tulle strips when you reach the end of your waistband.
- To create a small row at the top of the tulle repeat steps 1-5 using a smaller strip approximately 12 inches long.
- I added a waistband with a rosette to the tutu dress and hand stitched it in place. The headband tutorial is the same as the rosette. Starfish Headband Tutorial
- Gigi wore a tank top under the tutu and the clam shell bra went over it. The pearls and head band finished off the costume.