Make a key chain – a quick crafty gift that you can make with ease. These crafty key chains make a perfect Valentine gift for your girlfriends, guy friends or for any day of the year. I made 5 in about an hour. The ribbon and the belting came from Hobby Lobby and were on sale for 50% off. Since the ribbon was on sale I had to purchase multiple designs. Really I did becasue hey know how to get me with a sale and a coupon. The metal hardware came from Dritz and are packaged as Key Fob Hardware Sets. I would never have thought to call them a key fob. They can be purchased at most big box stores and online. The hardware was the most expensive part of the project and I think a single set was maybe $2 and the 5 set package was around $5. Naturally I purchased the 5 pack and had to make 5. That was how I justified buying all the different ribbon.
Supplies to make the key chain:
- webbing or belting
- glue stick
- sewing machine and thread
- key fob hardware
- ruler or tape measure (optional)
To make the crafty key chain:
- Cut the belting and the ribbon to desired length. I used about 10 inches of each. You can make them larger or small to fit your needs.
- Adhere the ribbon to the center of the belting with a quick slide of the glue stick. This way you don’t have to pin the ribbon.
- Sew along the edges of the ribbon on both sides.
- Trim off any loose fibers
- Fold in half and follow the packaging directions to affix the key fob hardware to the belting.
- Attach the ring to the rectangular piece.
- Place in a pretty package.
Voila, it really is that simple. Create your own crafty key chain using your favorite ribbons. You can make 5 key fobs in under an hour and you can keep them on hand for when you need a last-minute gift. This quick craft is a part of the Craft Lightning Series. Click the image below to see may other projects.