HANDMADE GIFTS FOR PETS DOG & CAT TREAT MIX JARS
Surprise a pet lover with these adorable treat mix jars. Fill with their pets’ favorite treats or the ingredients to whip up a batch of homemade munchies. They are inexpensive to make and fun to give.
Materials Handmade gifts for pets Dog & Cat Treat Mix Jars:
- Recycled quart jar or mason jar.
- Burlap, 1/4 yd.
- Wooden tags, 1-1/4”x2-3/8”
- National Nonwovens Wool Felt: Brown Sugar, Country Red, Beige, Buttercream, White, Grass Skirt, Orange
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Country Red, Olive Green, Admiral Blue, Snow White, Spa Blue
- DMC 6-strand Embroidery Floss: Ultra Dark Beige Gray (3790), Black (310), Light Parrot Green (907), Very Dark Salmon (347), Ecru
- Ribbon, 7/8”, 1/2 yd.
Basic Supplies for the Handmade gifts for pets:
- sanding block
- iron and pressing board
Tools for Handmade gifts for pets Dog & Cat Treat Mix Jars
- DecoArt Duraclear Varnish
- Alphabet rubber stamps, 1/2”
- Black pigment ink
- Embroidery needle
- Stick fusible adhesive
Directions for Handmade gifts for pets Dog & Cat Treat Mix Jars
1. Cut 4-1/2”x8” rectangle from burlap to fit around jar. Fringe long ends.
2. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse wool felt to fusible webbing with iron. Print and cut out patterns from fused felt. For dogs, cut head from Brown Sugar or White, muzzle from Beige or White, nose from Brown Sugar, and collar from Grass Skirt or Red. For cat, cut head from Buttercream, and nose and ears from Orange. Fuse patterns to center of jute rectangles, using photos as placement guide.
3. Use Black, Beige or Ecru floss to blanket stitch edges of heads, muzzles and ears. Blanket stitch dog collars with green or red. For eyes, use Black floss to make French knots. Use Black floss to backstitch noses and whiskers. Apply glue to back of burlap and wrap around jar, securing at back.
4. Paint jar lids Country Red, Spa Blue or Olive Green. Dry brush Spa Blue lid and Olive Green lid Admiral Blue. When dry, apply varnish. Paint wooden tags Snow White or Spa Blue.
5. Stamp treat name on tag. Thread 12” ribbon length through tag and tie around jar. Fill jar with treats. Replace lid.
1. Search the internet for tasty and nutritious homemade pet treat recipes.