Book thongs? No, they are not anything offensive… lol and they are really quick and easy to make. They are a fun and easy way to keep your place while reading books. My kids lose the paper book marks and get frustrated when they lose their place in a book. That is why I came up with a book thong using Oly*Fun and novelty buttons. You can use a button that is pleasing to your child. These particular buttons came from Buttons Galore and More. They have a great variety of novelty buttons. Oly*Fun craft sheets can be found in Joann Crafts stores. Most big box stores carry the Craft packs and some even carry it by the bolt. It is a really functional material. It is tough like a fabric but can be cut and treated like paper because it does not unravel.
Supplies for book thongs:
- Novelty Buttons
- Hair elastics
- scissors, pencil, ruler
- Needle, thread and sewing machine
Instructions to make book thongs:
- Use the pencil to draw one inch lines across the crafts sheets.
- Cut along the line to create 1×12 strips of Oly*fun. You can trim them to a variety of lengths for different sized books.
- Fold one end of the strip over the hair elastic. Sew a straight line using an 1/4 inch seem allowance.
- Repeat step 3 and trim the edges.
- Hand sew on a button on the other end of the strip.
- Place around a book and enjoy.
I made about a dozen book thongs in just around an hour. They are really quick and easy to make. If you would like more ideas for back to school check out the links below.