Make a Decoupage Ornament with craft paper ornaments and pattern paper you can get from the scrapbook section of almost any big box store. The handmade ornaments are a fun craft activity for the kids and they also make great package toppers. You can embellish them with scraps you have on hand. If you are a scrapbooker or carmaker then you can use up your stash to make the Decoupage Ornament. Create sophisticated ornaments on a shoestring.
Materials for a Decoupage Ornament:
- Two coordinating decorative papers
- Papier-mâché ornament
- Desired embellishments
- Ribbon or heavy string
- Scissors or Paper trimmer
- Dauber or sponge
- Brown ink – chalk ink works great
- Sandpaper is optional
Directions for a Decoupage Ornament:
- For each ornament, choose two coordinating decorative papers. if you are using your stash you can use more than two. Press the paper onto the ornament and make an impression into the paper. If it does not work for you can cut the paper close to the size of the surface.
- Trim and adhere papers to cover alternating sides of papier-mâché ornament. If you need to you can use sand paper to make the edges smoother and more uniform. Make sure to dust off debris.
- Use dauber or sponge and brown ink to antique edges. I like to use chalk ink. If you use pigment ink let it dry overnight or use a heat gun to heat set the ink.
- Embellish as desired with coordinating ribbon, buttons or anything you have on hand.
Make a set of these charming ornaments packaged in a coordinating découpaged gift box for a lovely, budget savvy gift idea. Give to your friends and enjoy or make enough to decorate a wreath or even a whole tree. The Decoupage Ornament can be made using any shape ornament or style of pattern paper.