Dry brush a terra-cotta flower-pot for a fast and easy personalized gift. You can hand stamp words with an alphabet stamp too. For this fast craft project, that is a part of the Craft Lightning series, I had an idea in my head and lets just say that my execution started out great. But did not end with perfection. I love using the dry brush technique and making distressed finishes. Personally, I think I am really good at it. But sometimes I need to learn when to stop. This would be one of those times. The picture above is the pot with dry brushing turned around and hiding my not so perfect execution.
The flower-pot below is what I ended up with and quite frankly do not like. Scroll on down to see what my vision for the dry brush pot was.
This is what my vision looked liked in the picture below. Nope not quite the same, I added that wording in Photoshop. I am not sure why I thought the large and colorful font would work. But the cool thing is, my mom will love it no matter what, because moms love anything their kids make, even if their “kid” is over 40. Now, my mom is religious and I wanted to pick a phrase that would represent something from the bible. I picked the latin phrase felix culpa.
This is what wiki has to say about Felix Culpa if you are interested.
Felix culpa is a Latin phrase that comes from the words felix (meaning “happy,” “lucky,” or “blessed”) and culpa (meaning “fault” or “fall”), and in the Catholic tradition is most often translated “happy fault,” as in the Paschal Vigil Mass Exsultet O felix culpa quae talem et tantum meruit habere redemptorem, “O happy fault that earned for us so great, so glorious a Redeemer.” While my mom is not Catholic and I am, I still think it is fitting.
Now that you have the back ground of why the inspiration for the craft was, lets talk about how you can make your own dry brush flower-pot for a gift or your own home decor. This is the tutorial to make the easy sew pot holder trivet thingy the flower-pot is sitting upon. I am fast at sewing and it took me 15 minutes, maybe 20 to make it from scraps.
Supplies needed for a dry brush pot:
How to dry brush a terra-cotta pot:
- Clean and dry the dry before you paint it. Place a very small dollop of paint on your pallet. Lightly run the paint brush through the paint. Brush off the excess paint.
- The key to dry brushing is small light layers. Build up the paint in small layers and don’t be afraid to wipe off any excess.
- Paint the base of the pot white and the rim on the pot silver or any color combination you like.
Allow the paint to dry and stamp on a phase or word of your choice. Take my advice and pick smaller stamps and ink in a dark grey or black.
Click on the graphic below to find other great ideas you can make in a flash for a Mother’s day gift idea.
Make DIY beaded wine stoppers for our 2017 Creative Challenge for Crafters
We here at 365 Days of Crafts have decided to provide crafting prompts for you to follow along with. Each month we will offer a them and inspiration to you. We want you to join in the fun and play along. If you make something or many things and want to share, use the hashtag #mycreativeChallenge . The hashtag will allow is to see what you are doing and to share your creativity too. Our first them is LOVE. This does not have to be Valentine related but it can be. As you can see with my project below mine is a beaded wine stopper. I love to bead and I love shimmer and shine and I love wine too. The trifecta of crafting projects for me. I also like to make them and keep them on hand as they make the perfect hostess gift. You can give it alone or pair it with your favorite bottle of wine. This is a SUPER SIMPLE project. It is reasonably priced and looks fantastic with little effort.
The first image shows a pink and white Hope themed stopper. You can mix random color beads or give the stopper a theme.
Supplies for Beaded Wine Stopper:
- Wine stopper Blanks
- Large core beads
- Pearl Dangles or charms
This picture of the wine stoppers show how versatile they really are. There is an everyday color scheme, a BCA (Breast Cancer Awareness them and a Christmas piece. The dangles really add an extra touch of fun and whimsy.
Instructions for beaded wine stoppers:
- Remove cap on wine stopper.
- load beads onto stem
- Screw top back on
- Add dangles or charms
I told you the project was super simple and I was not kidding. I “love” how easy they are to make and how great they look for so little effort.
For my personal use I made the aqua, blue and white theme to go along with the color scheme in my living room. Make sure you play along with the creative challenge. We really do mean it when we say we want you to share what you make. Nothing makes us happier than to know that we have inspired someone to make themselves happy and created something beautiful
Make a key chain – a quick crafty gift that you can make with ease. These crafty key chains make a perfect Valentine gift for your girlfriends. I made 5 in about an hour. The ribbon and the belting came from Hobby Lobby and were onside for 50% off. Since the ribbon was on sale I had to purchase multiple designs. They know how to get me with a coupon. The metal hardware came from Dritz and are packaged as Key Fob Hardware Sets. I would never have thought to call them a key fob. They can be purchased at most big box stores and online. The hardware was the most expensive part of the project and I think a single set was maybe $2 and the 5 set package was around $5. Naturally I purchased the 5 pack and had to make 5. That was how I justified buying all the different ribbon.
Supplies to make the key chains:
- glue stick
- sewing machine and thread
- key fob hardware
- ruler or tape measure (optional)
To make the crafty key chain:
- Cut the belting and the ribbon to desired length. I used about 10 inches of each. You can make them larger or small to fit your needs.
- Adhere the ribbon to the center of the belting with a quick slide of the glue stick. This way you don’t have to pin the ribbon.
- Sew along the edges of the ribbon on both sides.
- Trim of any loose fibers
- Fold in half and follow the packaging directions to affix the key fob hardware to the belting.
- Attach the ring to the rectangular piece.
- Place in a pretty package.
Voila, it really is that simple. Create your own crafty key chain using your favorite ribbons. You can make 5 key fobs in under an hour and you can keep them on hand for when you need a last-minute gift. This quick craft is a part of the Craft Lightning Series. Click the image below to see may other projects.
DIY gift packaging is easy and not that expensive to make. If you are a crafter then you likely have every thing you need in your stash. I like to use my scraps from card making and scrapbooking to make the toppers on the plastic pouch. I get the plastic pouches from Oriental Trading Company. I happen to be a blogger for them so they are my go to resource for supplies.
I treat the plastic pouch just like I would a card front and add layers and dimension with twine and bling. Sometimes simple strips of paper can be the easiest and you can make multiples in one sitting. Figure out the dimensions for your package and add layers of pattern and solid paper that are separated by 1/4 or 1/2 inch increments.
A few small details like crystal stickers added in the corner give it additional volume and really make it look more expensive. I like to use the preprinted thank you pennants from Oriental Trading. They are perfect for gift packaging and cards.
Supplies needed to make the DIY Gift Packaging:
Blog Hop List
P.S. I Love You Crafts – Our First Christmas Together Ornament
Anika’s DIY Life – LED Christmas Tree Wall Decor
My Pinterventures – Baking Soda Gingerbread Ornaments
Intelligent Domestications – Poinsettia Christmas Wreath
365 Days of Crafts – Handmade Christmas Cards
Love My Simple Home – Chicken Wire Christmas Tree
Day to Day Adventures – Glitter Letters for Christmas Decorations
Faeries and Fauna – Christmas Cushion and White Glitter Christmas Tree
Our Crafty Mom – Glittered Mason Jar Light
Knock It Off Kim – Holiday Napkin Rings
The Latina Next Door – DIY Christmas Ornament
Finding Your Joy in the Journey – Christmas Letters with a Little Bling
Craft Create Calm – Gingerbread House
DIY 180 Site – Vintage Christmas Bulb Wreath
The Inspirational Vault – Glittery Snowflake Decor
All of the bloggers have also gone in for a holiday giveaway. Make sure you enter. The give away ends at 12:00 am on 11/24/2016
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Peppermint Jewelry is a fun DIY gift you can give. Peppermint says Winter jewelry to me. I love candy themed Christmas trees so candy themed jewelry is pretty cool too. This project is part of Craft Lightning and we love participating in the event because it always makes us design faster and more efficient. It took me 15 minutes to design and make both earrings. I also made a necklace too which I will share tomorrow. One of the things I love most about making my own jewelry is that when I buy the supplies to make a set for me I usually make an extra set to have in my gift closet. I am rarely without a hand-made gift. The peppermints would make great drink charms too. I am pretty frugal and do not like to let anything go to waste or just sit. I happen to order all my supplies from Oriental Trading Company since I am a blogger for them. They have really become my go to for supplies.
Supplies needed for Peppermint Jewelry:
How to make Peppermint Jewelry:
If you follow the pictorial above you will see that it is really simple to make the earrings.
- Start by sliding the beads on the head pin in the order you like.
- Bend the headpin wire over to a 90 degree angle.
- Form a loop around the pliers.
- Wrap the excess wire around the bottom of the loop.
- Open the earring wire by pushing one side of the loop down and one side up.
- Insert the beaded headpin with loop.
- Close the wire and repeat for other side.
- BAM! That easy to make your own earrings.
Make sure you visit all the other blogs and see their great and super quick ideas. You will be ready for gift giving in no time at all.
A sit upon is a girl scout craft tradition. I am not sure when the girl scout craft started but I know it has been around for over 40 years because I remember my older cousin making one at camp and teaching me how to make one too. What is a sit-upon? They are homemade, usually waterproof pads used to protect the user’s backside from the cold and damp while “sitting upon” the ground! They are also great for sitting any where the sitting surface is hard… a Girl Scout craft tradition for camping.
The material being used on the sit upon is called Oly*Fun and it is weather friendly and water resistant. It is not meant for long term use outside. But it is perfect for using and washing off when you are finished and it comes in 18 colors and it acts like a paper because you can cut it with scissors and does not fray. It is similar to a fabric because it can be sewn and washed. Like the best of both worlds.
If you would like to see more Girl Scout Crafts click on the link at the bottom and it will take you to another site loaded with ideas.
Materials for a Sit Upon – girl scout craft:
- Olyfun (your favorite colors)
- Measuring Tape or Ruler
- Needle and thread or embroidery floss (optional)
- Sewing Machine and coordinating thread
Instructions for Sit Upon – girl scout craft:
- Draw a shape for the top of the sit upon on the Olyfun fabric. We free handed the shapes then cut the shape out and set it a side.
- Cut enough Olyfun to cover the cushion on all sides with an extra two inches all around. The cushions use were 15×17 so I cut 17×19.
- If you are going to add embellishments sew them on by hand now or with sewing machine.
- Fold the material in half and sew up two sides. You can leave the seams on the outside or you can flip it inside out and the seams will be on the inside.
- Cut strips of Olyfun for straps. I cut them 4 inches wide and folded them in half for extra strength Insert the cushion into the opening.
- Insert the strapping and pin in place if needed. Sew the opening closed and trim off any excess material.
Enjoy your sit upon and be part of the girl scout tradition.
15 DIY nautical Inspired crafts that you can make. If you like the lake, beach, river or ocean we have 15 nautical inspired projects you can make for your home and to give as gifts. There are kids crafts, party themes with free printables, home decor and jewelry. Plus if you are feeling really adventurous there is even a great boat reading nook tutorial at the bottom.
Make a sparkling orange and turquoise jewelry set using supplies from Oriental Trading company. The pieces are both beginner level and can be made with ease even if you have zero crafting experience. My five-year old made a bracelet using the tutorial for her end of the year teach gift. I promise you it is that easy.
The nautical inspired jewelry set supplies and instructions.
Make easy home decor with sea glass style vases, burlap and jute cording and fun beach inspired charms. All supplies and instructions are available from Oriental Trading.
15+ Diy Nautical Inspired Crafts for you to make.
Diy Nautical Inspired Kids Crafts
Simple Sailboat with Olyfun
Diy Nautical Inspired Jewelry
Beachy Button Bracelet and earrings
Diy Nautical Inspired Home Decor
Nautical Anchor String Art
DIY Nautical Bathroom Decor
An amazing do it yourself reading nook
Olyfun Beach Waves easy sew pillow
Diy Nautical Inspired Party Decorations
Baby Whale Printable
Nautical inspired sewing Projects
Beach ball bag
Olyfun Beach Waves easy sew pillow
Make an easy shamrock hair clip using Olyfun and Stickles. If you can draw a heart you can make this project. Yes, you can draw a heart and it is okay if it turns out a little wonky. It is handmade after all. Plus, in all likelihood your child will be wearing it and they really don’t notice if things are not perfect. Also you could make this a pin to wear on clothes or a backpack.
Oly*Fun is available by the 12×12 sheet in the general craft isle at most big box stores. You can find it on the bolt in the fabric section. You can use any fabric glue for Oly*Fun. I like to use the Cool Tool Glue gun. It is low temp and does not burn my fingers or melt through the material. It is also safe for kids to use.
Materials for easy shamrock hair clip:
- Olyfun 12×12 craft sheets in Pine, Clover and Kiwi.
- Adtech Cool Tool Glue Gun and Glue sticks
- Stickles or glitter glue
- Hair clip
Instructions for easy shamrock hair clip:
- Cut three hearts in small medium and large. This will give you 9 hearts, three of each size.
- Cut a thin strip to cover your hair clip. I wrap mine around it completely covering it.
- Glue tips together as shown in the image above. (no hot glue it will melt) (fabric glue is fine too)
- Add accents of Stickles or glitter glue around the edges in a thin line. Allow the glitter glue to dry or you will have a mess. You can speed up drying with a cool temperature hair dryer. DO not use heat or you can melt the Olyfun.
- Glue the hair clip to the back of a heart. Leave room for the strip to cover the clip.
- Cover the hair clip with a strip of Olyfun. Secure the strip with glue. Allow to dry.
- Glue the stacked hearts on the clip as shown below.
Color Sort Busy Activity for Children in rainbow colors and in neutrals can both be made in 15 minutes or less. I came up with the popsicle shape, cut, sewed, colored and labeled all 10 colors in 32 minutes from concept, gathering materials, to completion. You can do yours in 15 minutes and make half or take a half hour and make them all. The materials list is very short. The activity will keep little ones busy and it can help them learn too. I colored the bottom of the craft sticks solid. This is to help them learn to match their colors and I also wrote the name on it for when they are ready to learn sounds and letters. The popsicle sticks can also be used for creative play.
OlyFun can be purchased in the craft isle at most big box craft stores in sheets or craft packs. It is also available via bolt in the fabric section. I really like this material because it dos not fray so you can treat it like paper or fabric.
Materials for Color Sort Busy Activity for Children:
- OlyFun craft sheet package in 12×12 assorted colors
- sewing machine and thread or fabric glue or glue gun (your choice)
- craft sticks
Instructions for Color Sort Busy Activity for Children:
- Draw a popsicle shape out on the Olyfun or freehand cut the shape. Cut two of each shape for popsicle. Repeat for each color.
- Sew or glue the shapes along the outer edge. Repeat for each color.
- Lable the popsicle stick with corresponding color. Use a marker to color in bottom half with corresponding color. Repeat for each color.