Make a giant porch spider
Spiders a spooky and creepy and you can greet trick-or-treaters with an oversized creepy arachnid! Plastic-foam and repurposed supplies make this budget-friendly, too. Plus the giant google eyes make it a whole lot less scary. Create a whole army of Spiders to decorate your yard.
Materials for Giant porch Spider
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam Balls: 5”, 2-1/2”; scrap
- Wire coat hangers, eight
- Black fleece, 1 yd.
- Wooden skewers, two
- Wiggle eyes, 1”, two
- Cut one skewer in half and insert end into smaller foam ball. Remove and place opposite end into larger foam ball. Spot glue ends of skewer and insert back into holes. Place remaining skewer into bottom of larger foam ball to use as handle when painting. On covered work surface, paint both balls Lamp Black. Insert skewer handle into scrap foam to hold in place while drying.
- Measure and cut eight 2”-wide strips of fleece. Unbend each wire hanger by twisting wire with pliers and lengthening into one long wire length. Form spider legs using photo and diagram as guides. Use wire cutters to trim legs if needed. Beginning at top of bended leg, wrap fleece strip around wire leg, leaving 4” of wire unwrapped on one end. Use fabric glue to adhere fleece every few inches, overlapping fleece on edges. Repeat process to bend and wrap all eight legs.
- Insert unwrapped ends of wire legs into large foam ball (body), with four on each side. Remove wire legs and generously apply tacky glue on ends; replace into holes. Let dry thoroughly.
- Paint hourglass shape on top of body Primary Red. Let dry.
- Adhere wiggle eyes to smaller foam ball (head) using tacky glue. Let dry.
Halloween door decorations – Make a monster mouth for your front door. I chose to use Oly*Fun from Fairfield Processing because it is available in Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Joan Fabric and Hancock Fabric. Plus it is in cheap and weather friendly. It is great for decorating outside and it can be reused year after year. Our neighborhood does not have trick or treating so we do not get very elaborate on or decorations. I wanted to make something with little effort and big impact. Thus the front door decoration. Our door is a double door and we just painted it black instead of the green I planned. The green door would have been the perfect monster or Frankenstein.
I work with Fairfield and Adtech and they send me product to create with and I would not use them if I did not love them. I chose the Cool Tool because it will not melt the Olyfun, it is safe for the kids and it will hold up to the weather. This project took about 20 minutes total. It might have taken less if I was not doing it with two cranky kids.
Supplies for Halloween door decorations:
Instructions for Halloween door decorations:
- Cut the red Oly*Fun to the size of your front door.
- Cut enough white triangles to go along the top of the mouth and the bottom of the mouth. I let the kids cut them. This assured that they were uneven and unique.
- Adhere the teeth to the mouth with a low temp glue gun.
- Cut two eye shapes out of white.
- Use a red Sharpie to add veins to the eyes. to finish off the eyeballs.
- Add either black or blue Oly*Fun to the bottom of the eyes.
- Adhere to your front door and enjoy.
Click on the link below to see other quick and easy Halloween crafts.
Halloween is next week and so, if you haven’t already, you are probably starting to think about costume ideas. The stores are down to bare bones now so it is time to get creative. No worries though because here are 16 creative Halloween costume ideas to inspire you!
This Simple Skull Earring Tutorial is great for Halloween or for those of you that fancy the skullery they are great year round too. A few supplies and a you are ready to begin. Use can also use this easy tutorial to make earrings of any style. Choose your beads and make them as gifts too. You can use larger eye pins or even head pins and layer more beads. This is the basic technique to master when making earrings.
Supplies for Simple Skull Earring Tutorial:
- ear wires
- jump rings
- round nose pliers
- eye pin
- skull beads
Instructions for Simple Skull Earring:
- Place eye pin inside the skull bead. Form a tight loop with the pliers. Wrap the loop continually around itself to form a spiral.
- Open jump ring by pulling one side toward you and one side backward.
- Place jump-ring on eye pin and place ear-wire on jump-ring. Close jump-ring.
Fall here is and that means it is time to start crafting. My glue gun is definitely my trusty side kick when it comes to most crafts. It so versatile and handy so I use it for practically everything. As you get ready to start making some beautiful fall projects, check out these 11 fall crafts to make with a glue gun for inspiration.