An easy sew pot holder trivet is a fast and fun gift to make using your fabric scraps. Add a little color to your home decor that is budget friendly. The theme for this months #mycreativechallenge is Spring and I chose floral scraps from another project. Click the link for the decorative flower-pot sitting on the pot holder trivet. It is a 15 minute craft and could also be perfect for Spring.
If you would like to play a long with the challenge use the hashtag on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. We would love to see what you create and it does not have to be anything complex it can be simple like this pot holder or flower-pot.
Out of curiosity would you call the project a pot holder, trivet or something else?
Supplies for the Easy sew pot holder trivet:
- sewing machine and thread or needle and thread
- scrap fabric
- Soft and Toasty cotton batting
- bias tape I buy it in bulk because it is so much cheaper
- cutting mat, rotary cutter and ruler
How to make the easy sew pot holder trivet:
- Cut fabric scraps into strips 2″x8″ and sew the strips together right sides facing each other.
- Press the seams open or to the darker fabric. Pressings important for a clean look.
- Square up the fabric by using a sewing ruler.
- Cut the batting and the fabric backing to the same size as the top and pin or clip together for sewing.
- If you want to be fancy sew along the edges of each strip. If you want to be quick sew a simple X. You do this by sewing a straight line from one corner to the next corner and repeat for the other side.
- Once the layers are sewn together you can square up again. Somehow I always need to.
- Sew the bias tape around the edges. You will want to pin in place or sew very slowly to make sure you are sewing on both sides.
Sometimes I use a sewing cheat when working with bias tape. I use a washable glue stick to hold the bias in place before I sew it on. Voila! you now have yourself a pot holder trivet. Make sure you visit Jen and Carla for their projects.
Jen Goode – 100 Directions – printable Spring floral image
Carla Schauer Designs – printable family chore chart magnets.