Materials for Faux Tile:
- Polyform Premo! Sculpey White Oven-Bake Clay
- Cousin Corp. assorted beads: Pearl/Crystal Green Mix, Orange/Yellow Mix, Glass Green Mix
- Silver findings: eye pins, 1-1/2”, eight; jump rings, four; connectors, two; bead caps, four; toggle clasp
Basic Supplies for Faux Tile:
paintbrush, toothpick, cornstarch, sandpaper, damp paper towel or baby wipes
- Polyform Sculpey: Clay Conditioning Machine, Essentials Tool Kit, Translucent Liquid Sculpey, Glossy Glaze
- Round-nose pliers and wire cutters
- Butterfly rubber stamp
- Jacquard Orange Piñata Alcohol Ink
- Parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
- Beacon Adhesives Gem-Tac Permanent Adhesive
Directions for for Faux Tile:
1. Run clay through clay conditioning machine on medium thickness; do not roll too thin.
2. Dust stamp with cornstarch and tap to remove excess. Stamp butterfly image into clay and remove rubber stamp. Trim excess clay using blade from tool kit. Poke holes on each wing using toothpick. See Photo 1. (see photos)
3. Bake butterfly pendant on parchment-lined baking sheet for half baking time suggested on manufacturer’s instructions. Remove from oven and let cool.
4. While butterfly pendant is cooling, place one dollop of Translucent Liquid Sculpey on covered work surface. Add three drops of Orange alcohol ink to top of dollop. Let rest for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, mix contents together using toothpick. See Photo 2. (see photos)
5. Gently sand rough edges on butterfly pendant. Remove dust with damp paper towel or baby wipe.
6. Paint mixture on butterfly pendant coating entire piece. See Photo 3. Add one drop of Orange alcohol ink to painted butterfly. See Photo 4. Let set. Return butterfly pendant to oven and bake for 20 minutes following manufacturer’s instructions. Remove from oven and let cool. (see photos)
7. For necklace, on first eye pin, alternate orange and turquoise beads threading four of each color. Use round-nose pliers to form loop at end of eye pin; trim end. Attach loop to jump ring. Attach jump ring to butterfly through poked hole on wing. See Photo 5. (see photos)
8. On next eye pin, thread bead cap, green pearl, bead cap; form loop at end. Trim end. Attach loop to jump ring. Attach jump ring to previous threaded eye pin.
9. On next eye pin, thread mixture of green and turquoise beads in random pattern. Form loop at end; trim end. Attach to previous threaded eye pin. Attach silver connector to end.
10. On last eye pin, thread mixture of green and turquoise beads in random pattern. Form loop at end; trim end. Attach to silver connector. Attach one end of toggle clasp to other end of threaded eye pin. See Photo 6. (see photos)
11. Repeat Steps 7-10 creating other side of necklace.
1. Use Sculpey Glossy Glaze to add shine to pendant after painting.
If you would like to see a step out tutorial for the polymer clay faux tile technique.