The bedroom makeover on a budget will come in several parts… as my budget and time allows. The first part of the makeover, I think is the most important. Making a comfortable bed. Yes, the bedding on the bed works but the sheets were all mismatched and somehow in the last move we lost a pillow sham. This is our old master bedroom furniture and I still love it today as much as the day we had it delivered. So my big splurge was going to Ikea for a new white duvet cover, a white sheet set and white pillow cases. The pillows and all the accents will be handmade and that is what I plan on sharing with you. You can chose to use the accents for your bedroom makeover or any other room you need to kick up a notch and still stay on budget.
The colors in the new bedroom are going to be shades of aqua (marina) and grey (sterling silver). I think I might add in a tiny pop of orange. But I am not that far along in my planning process. Right now I am working on the bedding for the bedroom makeover on a budget.
The materials I am using for the pillows and throw are from Shannon Fabrics. They are known for their cuddle fabric which is so very soft and wonderful. They send us supplies to use once a quarter as a part of a blogger challenge. I look forward to getting their box like a kid enjoys going to the candy store.
The first project I am going to share is a pillow using a pre-cut cuddle cake. I love working with precuts. It saves a step and it saves time and I know the squares are actually square.
Materials needed for Bedroom makeover on a budget:
Sterling Silver and Aqua Pillow
- Cuddle Cake Squares in Sterling Silver
- Embossed Vine Cuddle Marina
- Smooth Fusible Fleece
- Poly-fil Fiber Fill
- Sewing machine, thread, iron, ironing board, scissors and straight pins
Instructions for Sterling Silver and Aqua Pillow:
1. Cut a solid piece 17 inches for the back and front. Iron Smooth to the back of the cuddle cake squares and to the back of the other pieces. My pillow is 16×16 inches. You can make it in what ever size you need.
2. Sew the squares together and iron the seams flat. Cut the solid fabric to the size of your choice. I wanted my stripe of grey offset so I cut the front panel off to one side.
3. Sew the aqua panels to the grey strip. Iron the seams flat. Sew around the pillow leaving an opening to add the Poly-fil.
4. Press seams down and turn right side out.
5. Add fiberfill to the pillow and hand stitch or machine sew the pillow closed. (not sure why the color is so off in the image- it is the same pillow)
Stay tuned for more projects for the Bedroom makeover on a budget.