autumn inspiration throw pillow
Make an autumn inspiration throw pillow using rich wool felt appliqué leaves and inexpensive muslin and ticking fabric come together in perfect harmony for a beautiful autumn accent. Embellish with a wooden sentiment circle and fabric flowers, or leave center bare for a more basic design.
Materials for autumn inspiration throw pillow:
- Fairfield Home Elegance Pillow Form, 14” square
- Black ticking fabric, 1/4 yard
- White muslin, 1/2 yard
- Wool felt, scraps: green, beige, red
- Prima Tasha Midnight Fabric Flowers, two
- Adhesive-back gem stones
- Wooden circle, 3”
- Royal and Langnickel Autumn Sentiments E-Z Rub-on Transfers
- Jeweled brads
Tools for autumn inspiration throw pillow:
- Sewing machine and black thread
- Hand drill
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Lamp Black, Snow White
- Adhesives: The Warm Co. Lite Steam-A-Seam; Beacon Adhesives Gem-Tac Permanent Adhesive
Basic Supplies for autumn inspiration throw pillow:
scissors, ruler, pencil, rotary cutter and self-healing mat, iron and pressing cloth, straight pins, wax candle, sanding block, fabric marking pen, sewing needle, paintbrush, newspaper (to cover work surface)
5. On covered work surface, paint front of wooden circle Lamp Black. Let dry. Rub surface randomly with wax candle. Paint two or three coats of Snow White on wooden circle. Let dry. Sand front of circle revealing distressed finish.
6. Trim around Autumn Sentiments rub-ons and follow manufacturer’s instructions to apply onto wooden circle. Use hand drill to drill two small holes on sides of circle. Place circle on center of pillow and use fabric marking pen to mark tiny dot through center of drilled holes on pillow front. Use scissors to cut tiny slit in marked holes for insertion of jeweled brads. Place jeweled brads through holes on circle and poke slits on pillow; secure brads and circle on pillow front.
7. Position pillow front and back with right sides together. Sew left, top and right sides together using 1/2” seam allowance, leaving bottom open for turning.
8. Turn pillow right side out and insert pillow form. Use whipstitch and sewing needle to sew bottom opening closed.
9. Use gem glue to adhere flowers onto circle as shown. Press self-adhesive gems on circle.