By Suzann Sladcik Wilson, Beadphoria
I have to admit it, I have been bitten by the soldering bug. After taking a class on soldering with glass at the Bead and Button Show , my soldering iron has rarely been turned off. The earrings above are some of my favorites.
Here’s how to make soldered earrings
- Scrapbook paper – Me & My Big Ideas textured card stock
- Sharpie Pen
- 4 – 1″ glass squares from Ranger
- Copper foil tape – 1/4″ wide
- Bone Folder
- Lead Free Solder
- Soldering Iron
- Paint Brush
- Liquid gel Flux
- Leverback Earring Findings – 1 pair
- Third Hand
- 4 – 5mm Sterling Silver Jump Rings
- Pledge Multi-Surface spray.
- Paper Towels
Instructions for Soldered Earrings:
1. Take a 1″glass slide and place on area of scrapbook paper you would like to have as your image. Trace around glass slide with Sharpie and cut out image with scissors.
2. Place image between two pieces of glass. Ensure there are no fingerprints on the inside of the glass. Trim any paper that may extend past the edges of the glass.
3. Cut a strip of copper tape at least 5 inches long. Wrap foil tape around the edges of the glass, keeping the glass image sandwich in the center of the tape.
4. Using fingers, press the edges of the tape down on either side of the glass. Use a finger nail to burnish the corners down. Rub the bone folder over the tape to secure it. Do not press too hard with the bone folder, as this may crack the glass!
5. Brush flux gel completely over copper tape.
6. Use your soldering iron to pick up a small amount of solder. Run the solder along the top outer edge of the copper foil. Solder will adhere. Repeat for all sides. Use tweezers to move the earring pendant around – it will get hot!
7. When you are happy with the amount of solder, insert earring pendant in a third hand to keep it steady. Use tweezers to hold jump ring in place on top of pendant. Use soldering iron to melt the solder on either side of the jump ring. You will feel the jump ring “drop” into the solder.
8. Clean pendant with Pledge Multi-Surface and paper towel. This particular brand works well, as it cleans the glass and shines the silver.
9. Repeat same process to make second earring pendant.
10. Once your earring pendants are done, use a jump ring to connect them to leverback earring findings.
If you have any questions about beading, or the glass soldered earrings using scrapbook paper, please feel free to contact me at 224-305-3321 or Suzann@Beadphoria.com. Always happy to share the joy of beading with you, Suzann Sladcik Wilson of Beadphoria.com and Beadphoria Boutique.
To view other jewelry pieces check the links below.