Oh I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas… only a Hippotamus will do.
That funny old Christmas song is the inspiration for this fun Christmas card with its nontraditional pink and lime color scheme. If you are in Cincinnati and have fallen in love with Fiona the baby hippo these would be perfect cards or gift tags. Best part is that the file to use is FREE and we all love free. You could make the adorable hippo in any color you choose. Use what ever embellisments you have in your stash to embellish the card or tag.
Watch the video here: Hippopotamus for Christmas
Supplies for creating a Hippopotamus for Christmas Card
Affiliate links below.
- Paper: Cardstock
- Embellishments: Bazzill Basics “Fussy Perfectly Pleated Borders”, K & Company “Wedding Multi-Color Glitter Flowers – Grand Adhesions Dimensional Stickers”, Want2Scrap® “White Sleek Strip Pearls”
- Die Cutting and Embossing: Miss Kate Cuttables FREE “Hippo“, Silhouette “CAMEO®”, “CAMEO® Mat”, Tim Holtz Alterations for Sizzix “December Embossing Folder” and “Vagabond Machine”
- Adhesive: Close To My Heart “Bonding Memories Broad Tip Glue Pen”; Thermoweb “iCraft Adhesive”; Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L™ “3D Foam Squares”
- Tools: Tonic Studios ” Craft Guillotine Trimmer“
- Ink: Imagine® Crafts/Tsukineko “New Sprout Memento™ Dye Inks”, “Sponge Dauber”
- Other: Copic Markers, EK Success Brands “Kuretake Writer”, EK Success Brands Martha Stewart Crafts “Scoring Board”
- Die cut Hippo pieces and ink edges or outline as shown. Assemble.
- Cut a card base from green cardstock. Add a pink mat.
- Emboss December onto White cardstock and ink the raised portions with New Sprout Memento™ Dye Ink using a Sponge Dauber.
- Add Fussy Perfectly Pleated Border.
- Attach Hippo to right hand side of card.
- Add White Sleek Strip Pearls. Trim excess.
- Finish off your Hippo with a coordinated Flower.
Note: I didn’t have multiple shades of pink, so the hippo’s ears and face were colored with a Copic Marker. It creates a nice contrast and has a fun inked finish.