A Snack mix in a jar is a fun gift to give when you need just a little something. It can be a “thank you” gift, “I am thinking about you” gift or even “here is a little snack to help you study” gift. This would also make something nice to give classroom aides. Most people like food so you can really give it for almost any occasion. You can follow the recipe below or create your own favorite snack mix combination to place in the jar.
Materials for Snack mix in a jar:
- Ball Quart Jar (Jarden Home Brands)
- Americana Acrylic Paint (DecoArt): Warm White; Espresso
- Patterned papers: brown/white Swiss dot; red/white polka dot
- White cardstock
- White wool felt scrap
- Wool roving: brown; white
- Pink Tiny Alphas Alphabet Stickers (Making Memories)
- Crystal acrylic gems, two
- Long pearl straight pins, two
- White miniature silk flower
- Black pebble bead
- Acrylic crystal
- Duraclear Varnish (DecoArt)
- Scallop-edge scissors
- Tiny hole punch
- Adhesives (Beacon Adhesives): Fabri-Tac; Zip Dry Paper Glue
- Needle felting tool and pad
Directions for Snack mix in a jar:
1.Paint jar lid. Let dry. Apply varnish.
2. Cut 4″x12″ rectangle from paper to fit around jar. Adhere to jar. (Note: Wrap rubber bands around paper to secure while glue dries.) Use scallop-edge scissors to cut two 1″x12″ strips from cardstock. Glue to top and bottom edge of rectangle.
3. Print and cut out pattern. Punch holes in each scallop of cardstock edges.
4. Paint toothpicks Espresso. Set aside.
5. Needle felt bird white. Draw wing with marker. Needle felt wing and beak brown. Glue crystal (eye) to face and bird to jar. For legs, cut ends of toothpicks and glue to jar.
6. For label, cut 3/4″x4″ strip from patterned paper. Fold in half, adhere ends and cut fork at end with scissors. Adhere stickers to spell “bird seed”. Stick straight pin through label and bird. Stick remaining pin through silk flower and bird. Glue gem to bird.
7. Follow instructions on recipe and fill jar.
by Melony Bradley
Show off the cork from your favorite adult beverage. Use a recycled wine cork or two, and craft supplies you might have on hand to create this charming, vintage-inspired necklace. Not only are you using recycled materials to make this fun necklace you can personalize it to your taste by adding different color crystals. Handmade jewelry is fun to wear because it is unique.
Materials and tools for wine cork necklace:
- Flat wooden circle, 1-1/2”
- Recycled wine corks, two
- Reclaimed jewelry chain with three clasps at center
- Silver jump rings, 10mm, four
- Beadalon Stainless Steel Memory Wire, 32-gauge
- Flat-backed crystals: 4mm, one package; 6mm, two
- Vintage book page
- Stamps: script background, small butterfly
- Circle punch, 3/8”
- Wire cutters
- Pliers: chain-nose, round-nose
- Hand saw and cutting surface
- Hand drill
- Jacquard Products Paints: Neopaque Brown, White; Lumiere Pearlescent Blue
- Ink pads: black pigment, green chalk
- Beacon Adhesives Adhesives: Liquid Laminate, Gem-Tac Permanent Adhesives
- foam brush, paintbrush, sponge dauber, newspaper (to cover work surface)
Directions to make a wine cork necklace:
- Working on protected surface, use hand saw to cut three 1/4”-thick discs from one cork. Cut remaining cork in half lengthwise; set aside one half for future project.
- Paint one disc Pearlescent Blue and wooden circle Brown; let dry.
- Use black pigment ink and script stamp to stamp two remaining cork discs. Ink edges of all cork discs and cork half with green chalk ink. Stamp butterfly in center of blue disc. Let all pieces dry.
- Use hand drill to drill holes in two script discs and at top and bottom of wooden circle. Drill hole in top of cork half.
- Punch circle from vintage book page. Use Liquid Laminate and foam brush to découpage paper to center of wooden circle; let dry. Use Gem-Tac Adhesive to adhere blue disc to center of wooden circle.
- Use Gem-Tac Adhesive to adhere crystals to edge of blue disc, to centers of script discs, and to cork half in curving pattern as shown. Let dry.
- Cut 2” length from Memory Wire coil. Bend wire in half, dot ends with Gem-Tac Adhesive, and insert into hole in top of cork half. Let dry.
- Use chain-nose pliers to open four jump rings. Insert open ends through four drilled holes in cork discs and wooden circle.
- Join discs and wooden circle to chain as shown; close jump rings using round-nose pliers. Join cork half to bottom of wooden circle; close jump ring.
Decoupage flower pots are a great gift for graduation, Mother’s Day or Father’s Day. Use black and white or tinted copies of photographs to create a personalized pot. Use baby photos and snapshots from important life events to make this visual keepsake extra meaningful.
Materials and tools for decoupage flower pot:
- Terra cotta pot, 6”
- Wooden heart tag, 2-1/2”
- Inkjet photo paper or copy paper
- Acrylic flat-backed crystals
- Ribbon or fabric of choice, 1” wide, 14” length
- Jute twine, 3” length
- Computer, photo-editing software, scanner, inkjet printer or copier
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Lamp Black, Snow White, Boysenberry Pink, Olive Green
- Tiny alphabet stamps and black pigment ink
- Adhesives: DecoArtAmericana Decou-page, Beacon Adhesives Gem-Tac Permanent Adhesive
- scissors, paintbrushes, foam brush, wax candle, sanding block, newspaper (to cover work surface)
Instructions for decoupage flower-pot:
Use scanner to scan photographs and save. Use photo-editing software to convert photos to black and white and to tint photographs if desired. Resize photographs into various sizes ranging from 1” to 4”. Print photographs on inkjet paper (or copy photos onto copy paper). Use scissors to trim photographs as needed.
On covered work surface, paint pot rim and inside of pot Boysenberry Pink or Olive Green. Paint wooden heart black. Let dry. Use wax candle to lightly rub surface on heart randomly to create wax resist. Paint heart Snow White. When dry, sand surface lightly to reveal distressed finish.
Use alphabet stamps and pigment ink to stamp sentiment such as “we grow through a mother’s love” or “we love you Mom” on heart. Adhere crystals on heart using Gem-Tac. Set aside.
Use découpage medium and foam brush to adhere photos to bottom of pot. Overlap photos slightly and vary position. Use fingers to smooth out air bubbles. Let dry.
Tie ribbon into bow around top of pot. Use jute or string to tie heart tag around knot in bow.
Easy Handmade gifts for guys – Make a leather key chain in less than 15 minutes with this DIY tutorial. Not only is this a fast and easy project it is environmentally friendly. The leather I am using is from samples at a furniture store. They change the discontinued samples out once a year and usually pitch them unless someone asks for them. I have a good rapport with the store near me and they save the leather and fabric swatches for me. The first time they gave them to me was for a boy scout craft about 5 years ago and have saved them for me ever since. This is a great craft to make with older kids. It is super quick and easy. Honestly it took me longer to write the directions than it did to make the piece from start to finish.
Materials to make gifts for guys – a leather Key chain:
- Scrap leather
- Craft Knife
- sewing machine and thread or needle and thread
- key fob and key ring
Instructions to make gifts for guys – a leather Key chain:
- Cut the leather into a one inch strip as long as your leather is. This piece is 1×11. I used a craft knife and ruler. You can use a rotary cutter or even scissors. Make sure the scissors are heavy-duty.
- Fold the piece of leather in half. Place the key fob and key ring on the strip and move to the back-end. Carefully and slowly run through the sewing machine. Use a heavy-duty needle and thread too. If you do not have a sewing machine you can do it by hand. If you are doing it by hand you might want to use an awl to poke holes in the leather. A hand needle will be difficult to push through the leather.
For illustration purposes I used white thread. I would recommend using a thread that coordinates with the color of the leather.
If you want more quick and easy handmade Father’s Day gift ideas, and gifts for guys in general be sure to check out our partners for Craft Lightning:
Give a sweet treat to your favorite person with a cupcake gift set. Use your favorite recipe to make the cupcakes and icing and give them the ingredients to make them too. The cupcakes are perfect for any occasion.
Supplies for Cup Gift Set:
- Recycled glass jars in various sizes
- Light turquoise blue fabric, 1/4 yd.
- Americana Acrylic Paints (DecoArt): Olive Green; Bubblegum Pink, Glamour Dust, Duraclear Varnish
- Cardstock: turquoise; white
- Black 6-strand Embroidery Floss (DMC)
- Small plastic bag
- Bubble Stripes Baking Cups (Wilton)
- Multi colored beads: 6/0 pebble; bugle
- Birthday Cupcakes stamp set (Inkadinkado)
- Black pigment ink pad
- Scallop-edge scissors
- Circle punches: 1/2”; 1”
- Batting and Stick Fusible Webbing by Fairfield
- Sewing needle and matching thread
- Glue (Beacon Adhesives): Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive; Zip Dry Paper Glue
- Iron and pressing board
Instructions for cupcake gift set:
1. Paint jar lids Olive Green and Bubblegum Pink. Let dry and apply varnish. While varnish is still wet, sprinkle with Glamour Dust.
2. Trace 4” and 3-1/2” oval, and 2-1/2” circle on batting; cut out with scallop-edge scissors. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse light turquoise fabric to fusible webbing. Trace and cut out 3-3/4” oval, 3-1/4” oval and 2-1/4” circle from fused fabric. Layer ovals and circles together and fuse so batting ovals and circles are matted.
3. Use pigment ink to stamp sentiments and images on fabric. Heat set with iron on warm setting.
4. Use three strands embroidery floss to blanket stitch edge of turquoise ovals and circles. Sew multi colored seed and bugle beads for sprinkles on cupcake image. Use fabric glue to adhere sewn ovals and circle to jars. Carefully fill jars with contents (cake mix, frosting and store-bought chocolate sprinkles).
5. For cupcake picks, punch several 1” circles from turquoise card stock and several 1/2” circles from white cardstock. Stamp small cupcake images from set and glue circles together. Glue toothpics to back center of larger circle. Cut small rectangular turquoise piece to fit opening of small plastic bag and mat with white cardstock. Stamp sentiment on white cardstock. Place picks in bag and stamp ends to rectangles to secure.
by Melony Bradley