Make a starfish headband for a mermaid party or a beach themed event or to wear because they are pretty cool. My daughter just celebrated her 5th birthday and the theme was mermaid and every little mermaid needs a cool hair accessory right? For her party we made a couple dozen polymer clay starfish using a mold of a real one we found on the beach.
Check back for tutorials on how to make the cupcake tower, a mermaid tutu and various other mermaid themed party decorations. Tutorial for Mermaid Tutu Dress
Tools and materials for a starfish headband:
- Premo! Sculpey®, 2 oz , White – 1 block
- Sculpey® Clay Conditioning Machine
- Starfish or other shell
- Americana Craft Paint – Buttermilk and Raw Umber
- DecoArt Glamor Dust – Ice Crystal
- Paint Brush
- Corn Starch
- Craft Knife
- Adtech Hot Glue gun and glue sticks
Instructions for a starfish headband:
- For best results, condition all clay by running it through the clay dedicated pasta machine several passes on the widest setting. Fold the clay in half after each pass and insert the fold side into the rollers first.
- Pinch of a Large piece of Mold Maker and roll into a ball. Flatten ball creating a piece of large Mold Maker enough to accept starfish.
3. Dust starfish with cornstarch. Press starfish into mold and then remove. Bake the mold according to the directions above. Allow the piece to cool before handling.
4. Condition the White clay according to the directions above. Dust the mold with cornstarch. Press the conditioned clay into the mold and remove. Trim off any excess clay with craft knife. Dust the mold and repeat again to make an additional piece. Repeat process to create as many starfish as you’d like. Bake according to directions above.
5. After the starfish has cooled, paint the piece with the Buttermilk acrylic paint, while the paint is wet, wipe excess.
7. Cut 8 three-inch strips of tulle and hot glue to headband. Then add a dollop of glue to center and press starfish into center and hold in place until dry. ALWAYS use caution when using a hot glue gun.