Make a cigar box desk set for dad by up-cycling a cigar box. You can transform reclaimed items into an organizer that adds vintage flair to Dad’s workspace while keeping supplies within reach. Dad will love it even more because you made it.
If you would like to see more or my craft projects or printables please check out my site http://carlaschauer.com
- Reclaimed items: cigar box, cardboard jewelry containers
- Brown cardstock
- Patterned papers: brown embossed, blue grid
- Hewlett Packard Premium Matte Photo Paper
- Jute twine: thin cording, 1”-wide trim
- Prima Marketing embossed chipboard stencil letter
- Walnut Hollow Aluminum Sheet Metal
- Aluminum screw posts, 1/2″, two
- Clearsnap ColorBox Fluid Chalk Ink Pads: Creamy Brown, Chestnut Roan
- DecoArt Americana: Butter Acrylic Paint, Matte Spray Sealer
- Drill with 1/4” bit
- Hole punch, 1/4”
- Computer, photo editing software, and printer OR calendar stamp set
- Digital craft items: Jessica Sprague Strawberry Lemonade Yellow Solid digital patterned paper, Katie Pertiet Hemp Tie digital jute cording
- Adtech Hot Glue Gun and Glue sticks
sponge brush, scissors, ruler, newspaper (to cover work surface), paper trimmer
- On covered work surface, basecoat entire cigar box Butter. Let dry. Apply sealer. Let dry. Drill two holes in box lid approximately 1-1/2” from front edge, 3” apart. Cover outside of lid with brown embossed paper and inside of lid with blue grid paper. Cut holes in paper to access holes in box lid.
- Ink edges of jewelry containers with Chestnut Roan. Cover inside and outside of boxes with brown embossed paper. Cut 5” square from blue grid paper and adhere to top right corner of cigar box base. Attach jewelry boxes to base of cigar box to form compartments.
- Use Creamy Brown ink pad to color embossed stencil letter. Ink edges Chestnut Roan. Trim metal sheet to fit back of stencil letter and adhere both layers to cigar box base.
- Use photo editing program to create calendar page for each month on digital patterned paper, adding month name in text box on left side and digital jute cord at top. Print each calendar page (or develop photos) at 3”x4” onto matte photo paper. (Alternatively, stamp calendars on yellow card stock.)
- Cut twelve 4”x4-1/2” rectangles from brown cardstock and mat calendar pages to rectangles, leaving extra cardstock at top. Punch 1/4” holes in cardstock to match holes drilled in cigar box lid.
- Insert screw posts through holes in lid to attach calendar pages to lid and screw in threaded tops to secure.
- Print additional sheet of digital paper (or use yellow cardstock). Trim to size and attach to inside bottom of desk supply compartments.
- Adhere jute cording around inside of lid and 1”-wide jute trim around outside of cigar box base.